- DRAW FORM THE INSIDE OUT – Start with a body underdrawing.
- DRAW UNDER-STRUCTURES – note the shoulder pads which extend the position of the armhole.
- MAKE A GRID – draw horizontal and vertical lines with the gesture drawing to line up seams, lapel points, collar points, buttons, etc.
- NO EXCESS WRINKLES-Draw as though the suit just came from the dry cleaners. No folds that are not caused by a form. Excess folds around the armhole just indicate bad fit.
- ASK THE EXPERTS – Get books on formal men’s clothing to understand the traditions of proportion that are involved. Ask a tailor how the suit should fit. Pay attention to contemporary trends as they relate to position and width of lapels, buttons, fit around the waist.